- Ph.D. in Environmental and Chemical Engineering (dual degree), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mi and University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.
- MS of Science in Chemical Engineering, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium,
- BS in Chemical Engineering, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium,
Areas of Interest: Optimal water management, technologies for sustainable wastewater treatment.
Research Projects: For my PhD, I am constructing, operating, and evaluating a novel anaerobic membrane bioreactor to achieve excellent domestic wastewater treatment with minimal environmental impact in cold to moderate climates.
Other Interests: Running, cooking & eating, reading, learning, traveling & languages.
Honors and Awards
- Integrated Training in Microbial Systems Fellow
- Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant
- Civil and Environmental Engineering PhD Fellowship,
- TNAV price: Best Thesis regarding Water and Sludge Technology at the Chemical Engineering Department of KU Leuven,
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Grant.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Van Steendam, C., Skerlos, S., Smets, I., and L. Raskin, “Exploring the role of biofilms in psychrophilic anaerobic systems treating domestic wastewater,” (In preparation).
Conference and Poster Presentations
- Van Steendam, C., A. Menefee, S. Skerlos, and L. Raskin, Do Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactors Have a Sustainable Future for Low Temperature Domestic Wastewater Treatment? Michigan Meeting on Microbial Communities, 16-18 May, 2016, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
- Van Steendam, C., Beaton, N., Jain, A., Puente, P., Smets, I., Love, N., Skerlos, S., and L. Raskin, “Next-Generation Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor for Low-Temperature Domestic Wastewater Treatment: Pilot Study,” 14th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion organized by International Water Association (IWA). Viña del Mar, Chile, 11/2015.
Contact Information: 1351 Beal Avenue, EWRE 17, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125; email@example.com, https://be.linkedin.com/in/carolinevansteendam