- BS in Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University,
- MS Art of Teaching, Dominican University,
- MS Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan.
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (Anticipated May 2017)
- Graduate Research Fellow, University of Michigan Sept2014-Present, Ann Arbor, MI
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Michigan, May2011-Sept2014, Ann Arbor, MI
- Junior Engineer, Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure, 2009-2011 Chicago, IL,
- 7th Grade Math/Science Teacher, Officer Donald Marquez Charter School, 2007-2009, Chicago IL.
Areas of Interest: Microbial quality of drinking water.
Research Projects: For my PhD, I am investigating the distribution of mycobacteria in drinking water distribution systems and household plumbing, and evaluating the impact chloramine disinfection has on the diversity and virulence of mycobacteria in tap water.
Other Interests: Cooking, gardening, skiing, swimming, reading news.
Honors and Awards
- University of Michigan Walter Weber Student Award
- University of Michigan Integrated Training in Microbial Systems Fellowship
- United States Environmental Protection Agency Science to Achieve Results Fellowship
- University of Michigan Dow Sustainability Fellowship
- Michigan Water and Environment Association Jack H. Wagner Scholarship
- Rackham Merit Fellowship,
- EPA Star Fellowship,
- Dow Sustainability Fellowship.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Kotlarz N, Haig S, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. A Shift from Chlorine to Monochloramine for Drinking Water Disinfection Controls Legionella Better but May Increase the Risk of Waterborne Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Disease. Environ Sci Technol Feature. In preparation.
- Kotlarz N, Haig S, Hughes E, Flynn KJ, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Cellular and Genetic Responses of Mycobacteria to Sublethal Concentrations of Monochloramine. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews. Under revision.
- Kotlarz N, Haig S, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Bacteria Survive Ozone: Observations from a full-scale drinking water treatment plant. Environ Sci Technol. In preparation
- Kotlarz N, Upadhyaya G, Togna AP, Raskin, L. Evaluation of Electron Donors for Biological Perchlorate Removal Highlights the Importance of Diverse Perchlorate-Reducing Populations. Environ Sci: Water Res Technol. Oct 2016.
- Caverly LJ, Carmody LA, Haig SJ, Kotlarz N, Kalikin LM, Raskin L, et al. Culture-Independent Identification of Nontuberculous Mycobacteria in Cystic Fibrosis Respiratory Samples. PloS one, 2016 April 19, 11(4):e0153876.
- Upadhyaya, G., N. Kotlarz, P. Togna, L. Raskin, “Carbohydrate-based Electron Donors for Simultaneous Removal of Nitrate and Perchlorate from Drinking Water using Biofilm Reactors,”
- Preston, K., D. Lantagne, N. Kotlarz, K. Jellison, “Turbidity and chlorine demand reduction using alum and moringa flocculation before household chlorination in developing countries,” Journal of Water and Health, March 2010, Vol. 08, No. 1, pp 60–70, doi: 10.2166/wh.2009.210.
- Kotlarz, N., D. Lantagne, K. Preston and K. Jellison, “Turbidity and chlorine demand reduction using locally available physical water clarification mechanisms before household chlorination in developing countries,” Journal of Water and Health, September 2009, Vol. 07, No. 3, pp. 497–506, doi:10.2166/wh.2009.071
Conference and Poster Presentations
- Kotlarz N, Rockey N, Olson TM, Haig SJ, Sanford L, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Bacteria Survive Ozone Disinfection: Observations from a Full-Scale Drinking Water Treatment Plant. Borchardt Conference 24th Triennial Symposium on Advancements in Water & Wastewater, Ann Arbor, MI, Feb. 21-22, 2017.
- Kotlarz N, Rockey N, Olson TM, Haig SJ, Sanford L, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Bacteria Survive Ozone Disinfection: Observations from a Full-Scale Drinking Water Treatment Plant. International Water Association Microbial Ecology in Water Engineering and Biofilms, Copenhagen, Denmark, Sept 4-8, 2016.
- Kotlarz N, Rockey N, Haig SJ, Olson TM, Sanford L, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Inactivation of Bacterial Populations in a Full-scale Ozone Contactor at a Drinking Water Treatment Plant. Michigan Meeting on Microbial Communities. Unseen Partners: Manipulating Microbial Communities that Support Life on Earth, Ann Arbor, MI, May 16-18, 2016.
- Kotlarz N, Upadhyaya G, Togna P, Raskin L. Bacterial Communities in Perchlorate and Nitrate Reducing Bioreactors. American Water Works Association (AWWA) International Symposium on Potable Reuse and Biological Treatment, Long Beach, CA, Jan. 25-28, 2016.
- Upadhyaya G, Kotlarz N, Estrella You A, Kirisits MJ, Hayes KF, Brown J, Raskin L. Hexavalent Chromium Removal from Drinking Water Sources Using Fixed-Bed Bioreactors. AWWA International Symposium on Potable Reuse and Biological Treatment, Long Beach, CA, Jan. 25-28, 2016.
- Caverly LJ, Spilker T, Kotlarz N, Haig SJ, Raskin L, LiPuma JJ. Improving nontuberculous mycobacterial DNA extraction from CF sputum samples for culture-independent analyses. 29th Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Phoenix, AZ, Oct 8-10, 2015.
- Kotlarz N, Haig SJ, Yonts J, Pinto A, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. Environmental Mycobacteria in Chloraminated Drinking Water Systems. International Water Association Specialized Conference on Biofilms in Drinking Water Systems, Arosa, Switzerland, Aug. 23-26, 2015.
- Haig, SJ, Kotlarz N, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L. From Source to Tap: Linking the Drinking Water Microbiome to Human Health. 4th Annual Conference on the Microbiology of the Built Environment, Boulder, CO, July 15-18, 2015.
- Kotlarz N, Haig SJ, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L, “Nucleic acid extractions from Mycobacterium Species in Drinking Water,” American Society of Microbiology (ASM) General Meeting, New Orleans, LA, May 30-June 2, 2015.
- Kotlarz N, Haig SJ, LiPuma JJ, Raskin L, “Investigating Mycobacterium spp. in Chloraminated Drinking Water,” Association of Environmental Engineering Science Professors (AEESP) Research and Education Conference, New Haven, Connecticut, June 6-13, 2015.
- Kotlarz, N., D. Marcus, L. Kalikin, J. LiPuma, A. Pinto, L Raskin, “Biogeography of drinking water bacteria along a premise plumbing flow path,” International Symposium for Microbial Ecology (ISME). Seoul, South Korea, 8/2014.
- Kotlarz, N., D. Marcus, J. Zhao, C. Xi, A. Pinto, J. LiPuma, L Raskin, “Biogeography of Cystic Fibrosis Opportunists in Drinking Water,” UM MCubed Symposium. Ann Arbor, MI. 11/2013
- Kotlarz, N. and D. Marcus, A. Pinto, J. LiPuma, L Raskin, “Biogeography of Cystic Fibrosis Opportunists in Drinking Water,” Borchardt. Ann Arbor, MI. 2/2013.
- Upadhyaya G, Kotlarz N, Hayes KF, Raskin L, Brown J. Efficient Removal of Multiple Contaminants Using Two-Stage Biologically Active Carbon Bioreactors. Water Quality Technology Conference, Long Beach, CA, Nov. 3-6, 2013.
- Kotlarz, N, Yavaraski T, Upadhyaya G, Darnton R, Hayes KF, Raskin L. Overcoming Obstacles to Hexavalent Chromium Analysis at Trace Levels. Pittcon Conference & Expo, Pittsburgh, PA, Mar. 21, 2013.
- Kotlarz, N, Upadhyaya G, Togna G, and Raskin L. Alternative Electron Donors for Simultaneous Removal of Perchlorate and Nitrate from Drinking Water Sources. 5th International Conference, Microbial Ecology and Water Engineering, Ann Arbor, MI, July 7–10, 2013
- Upadhyaya, G, Kotlarz N, Hayes KF, Raskin L, Brown J. Fixed-Bed Biologically Active Carbon (BAC) Bioreactors Remove Multiple Contaminants Simultaneously. American Water Works Association Biological Treatment Symposium, Denver, CO, Mar. 28-29, 2013.
- Upadhyaya, G, Kotlarz N, Hammerbeck A, Chu X, Togna P, Raskin L. Alternate electron donors for biologically-mediated simultaneous removal of nitrate and perchlorate from drinking water sources. Michigan Section AWWA Annual Conference, Bellaire, MI, Sept. 11-14, 2012.
- Upadhyaya, G., N. Kotlarz, P. Togna, L. Raskin, “An Alternative Electron Donor for Biologically-Mediated Simultaneous Removal of Nitrate and Perchlorate from Drinking Water Sources,” AWWA ACE. Dallas, TX. 6/2012.
- Kotlarz, N., D. Lantagne, K. Preston and K. Jellison, “Optimizing the Safe Water System for point-of-use water disinfection in the developing world,” Lehigh University Undergraduate Research Symposium. Bethlehem, PA, 2/2007. Awarded 2nd place for outstanding undergraduate research.
Contact Information: 1351 Beal Avenue, EWRE, Ann Arbor, MI 48108; firstname.lastname@example.org