- PhD in Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Sept 2016-present
- Masters in Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering, University of Hawaii, Dec 2015
- Tech in Biotechnology, Kathmandu University, Nepal, Dec 2012
Areas of interest
Environmental biotechnology, resource recovery, microbial ecology, anaerobic digestion and fermentation technology
My PhD project focuses on developing sustainable technologies for biochemical and bioenergy recovery from different organic waste streams. My research also involves integrating microbial ecology with process engineering to study microbial communities governing these biochemical processes and to use microbial information to drive engineering decisions.
Honors and Awards
- Canham Graduate Studies Scholarship, Water Environment Federation, in recognition of novel academic research in the water environment field, Jul 2019
- Integrated Training in Microbial Systems (ITiMS) Fellowship, University of Michigan, awarded to graduate students integrating population, modeling, and laboratory approaches in their research, Feb 2019
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan, awarded to outstanding Doctoral students actively working on dissertation research and writing, Feb 2019
- CEE PhD Fellowship, University of Michigan, Sept 2016
- Nepal Vidhya Bhushan C, Nepal Government, Sept 2013
- Nepal Chatra Vidya Padak, Nepal Government, Sept 2013
- Vice Chancellor Gold Medal, Kathmandu University, Dec 2012
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Nguyen, D., Wu, Z., Shrestha, S., Lee, P., Raskin, L., Khanal, S. (2019). Intermittent micro-aeration: New strategy to control volatile fatty acid accumulation in high organic loading anaerobic digestion. Water Research, 115080.
- Shrestha, S., Fonoll, X., Khanal, S. K., & Raskin, L. (2017). Biological strategies for enhanced hydrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass during anaerobic digestion: current status and future perspectives. Bioresource Technology. (In press)
- Sawatdeenarunat, C., Nguyen, D., Surendra, K. C., Shrestha, S., Rajendran, K., Oechsner, H., Xie, L & Khanal, S. K. (2016). Anaerobic biorefinery: current status, challenges, and opportunities. Bioresource technology, 215, 304-313.
- Surendra, K. C., Sawatdeenarunat, C., Shrestha, S., Sung, S., & Khanal, S. K. (2015). Anaerobic digestion-based biorefinery for bioenergy and biobased products. Industrial Biotechnology, 11(2), 103-112.
- Karki, T., Shrestha, S., Bohara, B., & Jyakhwa, U. (2014). Characterization and comparison of soy milk and buffalo milk based synbiotic product.Journal of Food Science and Technology Nepal, 8, 23-29.
Reading, hiking/camping and cooking
1351 Beal Avenue, 17 EWRE, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: 734 845 4614