- Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2012
- B.S. in Environmental Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2012
Areas of Interest
I am interested in drinking water biological treatment and microbial ecology. The focus of my dissertation research is the impact of treatment and distribution processes on opportunistic pathogens in drinking water.
Awards and Honors
- National Science Foundation Institute of International Education Graduate International Research Experiences fellowship recipient (NSF IIE GIRE, 2019)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship recipient (NSF GRFP, 2018)
- National Water Reuse Institute Bio-Largo Fellowship recipient (2018)
- Michigan AWWA Fellowship recipient (2018)
- Licensed Professional Civil Engineer in California (2015).
- Outstanding Senior in Environmental Engineering at University of Colorado (2011).
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates Researcher (2010)
Dowdell, K, Haig, S.J., Caverly, L.J., Shen, Y., LiPuma, J.J., and Raskin, L. (2019) Nontuberculous mycobacteria in drinking water systems – the challenges of characterization and risk mitigation. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 57:127-136.
Shimabuku, K.K., Zearley, T.L., Dowdell, K.S., and Summers, R.S. (2019) Biodegradation and attenuation of MIB and 2,4-D in drinking water biologically active sand and activated carbon filters. Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology.
Dowdell, K. Trace Organic Contaminant Removal in Drinking Water Biofilters under Carbonaceous and Nitrogen-Supplemented Conditions and Evaluating Biomass with ATP and Phospholipid Methods. University of Colorado 2012.
Conference and Poster Presentations
- Dowdell, K., Hooper, J.L., Evans, P., Lauderdale, C. (2017, June). Practical Monitoring Tools for the Biological Processes in Biofiltration: Water Research Foundation Project 4620, AWWA Annual Conference and Exposition (ACE), Philadelphia, Pa, USA.
- Dowdell, K, Chang, E., Cummings, G., Gresens, R., Wetterau, G. (2017, February). The Cambria Sustainable Water Facility: One Year of Operation, AMTA Membrane Technology Conference, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Dowdell, K., Hooper, J., Lauderdale, C. (2016, November). Moving Toward Optimized Biological Filtration: Pilot Testing at Three Biological Filtration Drinking Water Plants, AWWA Water Quality Technology Conference and Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, USA.
- Dowdell, K., Hooper, J.L., Lauderdale, C., Wert, E. (2016, January). Case Studies From 14 Biological Filtration Drinking Water Plants—Moving Toward Optimized Biological Changes, AWWA International Symposium on Biological Treatment, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Dowdell, K, Wetterau, G., Gresens, R. Chang, E. (2016, January). UV/Chlorine as an Alternative to Hydrogen Peroxide for Advanced Water Treatment Plants, AWWA International Symposium on Water Reuse, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Dowdell, K., Zearley, T., Summers, R.S. (2013, March). Assessing DW Filter Biomass: Developing A Relationship Between ATP Luminescence and Phospholipid Biomass Analyses, AWWA International Symposium on Biological Treatment, Denver, CO, USA.
- Zearley, T.L., Dowdell, K.S., Shimabuku, K., Summers, R.S. (2013, March). Biodegradation and Attenuation of Trace Organic Contaminants in Biological Drinking Water Filters. AWWA International Symposium on Biological Treatment, Denver, CO, USA.
- Zearley, T.L., Dowdell, K.S., Shimabuku, K., Summers, R.S. (2013, March). Impacts of Nitrification on Organic Micropollutant Removal in Drinking Water Biological Filters” AWWA International Symposium on Biological Treatment, Denver, CO, USA.
- Zearley, T., Meyer, K., Chae, S.H., Dowdell, K., Summers, R. S. (2012, November). Modeling Trace Organic Pollutant Removals in Drinking Water Biofilters, AWWA Water Quality Technology Conference and Exposition, Toronto, Ont, CAN.
- Dowdell, K., Zearley, T., Summers, R.S. (2011, November). Micropollutant Biodegradation and Adsorption in Biologically Active Drinking Water Filters with Granular Activated Carbon. AWWA Water Quality and Technology Conference, Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- Zearley, T., Dowdell, K., Summers, R.S. (2011, August). Long-term Trace Organic Pollutant Biodegradation and Adsorption in Drinking Water Biological Activated Carbon Filters. Amer. Chem. Soc. National Meeting. Denver, CO, USA.
I love being outside and enjoying nature. I also enjoy baking, going to concerts, and traveling.