Education and training
- Postdoctoral research fellow, University of Michigan, 2020 - present
- D. in Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2016-2020
- S. in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2011-2013
- Eng. in Water and Wastewater Engineering, Shenyang Jianzhu University, China 2007-2011
Areas of interest
Anaerobic processes, resource recovery, microbial ecology.
During my PhD project I investigated high-rate resource recovery, specifically hydrogen production, from waste streams using encapsulated biomass from the perspectives of reactor operation, modeling and microbial community analysis.
Honors and Awards
- Departmental Fellowship, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geo-Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2016
- School-level Scholarship, School of Municipal Engineering, Shenyang Jianzhu University, 2008-2010
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles and Presentations
- Zhu, K., Arnold, W. A., Sakkos, J., Davis, C. W., Novak, P. J., Achieving high-rate hydrogen recovery from wastewater using customizable alginate polymer gel matrices encapsulating biomass. Environmental Science: Water Res. Technol, 2018, 4, 1867-1876
- Zhu, K., Arnold, W. A., & Novak, P. J. Modeling alginate encapsulation system for biological hydrogen production. Biotechnology and bioengineering. 2019, 116(12), 3189-3199.
Manuscripts in preparation:
- Zhu, K., Novak, J. T., Anaerobic Co-digestion of Long Chain Fatty Acids with Municipal wastewater sludge.
- Zhu, K., Davis, C. W., Novak, P. J., Arnold, W. A., Alginate Encapsulation for the Mitigation of Biomass Inhibition during Resource Recovery from High Strength Wastewater
- Zhu, K., Arnold, W. A., Novak, P. J., Comparing Microbial Community Shifts in an Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor and an Anaerobic Reactor Containing Encapsulated Biomass during Unplanned and Intermittent Perturbations
Conference presentations and proceedings:
- Zhu, K., Novak, J. T., Impact of Free Long-Chain Fatty Acids on Completely Mixed Anaerobic Digesters Treating Municipal Sewage Sludge. In: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation Residuals and Biosolids, 2014.
- Zhu, K., Wadhawan, T., Michaelis, M., De Clippeleir, H., DeBarbadillo, C., Vlaeminck, S., Al-Omari, A., Murthy S., Higgins M. A Novel Method for Quantifying the Solubilization Potential of Thermal Hydrolysis Process. In: Proceedings of the Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference, 2015.
- Zhu, K., Arnold, W.A., Novak, P.J. High-rate Resource Recovery from Wastewater by Encapsulated Biomass. Oral presentation, AEESP Conference, Tempe, AZ, May 15, 2019
- Zhu, K., Arnold W.A., Novak, P.J. High-rate Resource Recovery from Wastewater by Encapsulated Biomass. Oral presentation, WEFTEC 2019, Chicago, IL, September 24, 2019
- Zhu, K., Arnold, W.A., Sakkos, J., Aksan, A., Novak, P.J. Achieving High-rate Wastewater Resource Recovery through Biomass Encapsulation ”. Oral presentation. Minneapolis Conference on the Environment, November 7, 2018.
I enjoy cooking, biking (on paved road), hiking, painting (oil, water color, and pen), gaming, music, and movies
1351 Beal Avenue, 211 EWRE, Ann Arbor, MI 48109